Monday, October 13, 2008

Canning Day #2

There's still more to can so here I go!!!

Jeff and I canned peach and apple pie filling tonight. He cut the fruit while I prepared the syrup. We made a good team - it only took us about 2 hours from start to finish. We had a little left over syrup so we cut up some apples, poured on the syrup, and let the kids eat it for dessert. It was really good!!

I plan on using ours for peach and apple crisp. I can't wait to open some up and try it.

If you want to make some for yourself, here's what I made:

Peach or Apple Pie Filling
4 1/2 cup sugar
1 cup cornstarch
3 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
10 cup water
3 tsp lemon juice
1 cube butter

Combine all ingredients in a lg. sauce pan. Bring to a boil stirring until clear and thick. Place slices of peaches or apples in quart jars. Pour hot syrup over the fruit. Make sure bubbles are out of jar. Wipe top of bottle to remove any syrup and cover with lid and ring. Process in a boiling water bath for 25 minutes. Make 7-8 quarts.

*For apple filling use 4 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 tsp nutmeg.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the receipe, I'm excited to try it. You're the canning queen now!

    ReplyDelete