We had some time to kill so we went over to the Gateway Mall and let the kids play in the splash park. It was so HOT that I was tempted to join them.
Hunger pangs turned us to food and we decided to catch a bite at Crown Burger because there is not one even remotely close to us. Mmmmm! So good!!
We then took a drive downtown to see how things were going with all the new construction. The ZCMI mall is now a huge hole. I used to work above the ZCMI Mall - in the Beneficial Life Tower so it's weird to see what was left. I started with Murdock Travel and then moved over to IHC Travel - both located in the Beneficial Life Tower. It is so weird to see everything so torn up downtown. I think it is going to be beautiful when it is done!!
After that trip down Memory Lane, we drove past Jeff's old apartment where he lived when we were dating. Then we headed over to our first apartment - Calista was born while we lived in the apartment and she has been wanting to see it. Needless to say, she wasn't impressed - we even had a pool - and she still wasn't impressed!!! I used to ride the bus to work so I showed the kids where I used to pick up the bus.
We were exhausted by then and it was getting fairly late so we headed back to the hotel. I forgot how BAD the water tasted in Salt Lake so we decided to get some waeter from the grocery store. I must have been REAL brave(or STUPID) when we lived in Rose Park because I used to go shopping all the time BUT I think it's a little scarier now so I wanted Jeff go with me. We hauled all the kids to the store for some water and snacks.
Only in Rose Park do you find - not one, not two, but three police officers standing outside the local Albertsons store. This is the very store that I used to shop at - kinda scary now!
It was fun to take a look at our old stomping grounds. It was fun when we lived there being so close to downtown. There is so much to see and do and there is an energy about downtown. I kinda missed it and then I started thinking about all the things I LOVE about where we live now:
* I feel safe and secure - even when I go to the grocery store!
* little or no traffic - I have come home at 11pm and only seen 1 other car on the road.
* I don't have to worry about gangs and homeless people hanging out on street corners and being scared when I stop at a red light.
* I LOVE how friendly everyone in Payson is - I remember one of the first times I went to Payson Marketplace - the people shopping and the people working there kept talking to me. It was a big adjustment from SLC where everyone ignores each other.
* I LOVE their city sports...I get to play volleyball again!
* I LOVE that they have band concerts every Sunday night in the park
* I LOVE my neighbors and friends that I have made here!
* I LOVE the school my kids go to - it's awesome!
* I LOVE this small little town!!
It was fun to take our little trip down Memory Lane...so many things and people have shaped who, what, and where we are now. I wouldn't trade it for the world.
You are so brave!!! Rose Park is scrary.
ReplyDelete