Sunday, June 21, 2009

UGH...enough rain!!

So, it rained pretty hard the other day and I felt pretty fortunate because the basement didn't flood - ALMOST but not quite. Another 2 inches and it would have reached the window.

Well, we were no so lucky on Saturday. We could tell that it was getting bad and I headed downstairs with some towels while Jeff headed out to the garage. We had a little fountain in front of our house a couple of years ago. Jeff climbed into the attic to find it and then had to jimmy-rig it to the hose to use it as a pump.

Just to show you how high it got on the window.It was a good 6-8 inches above the base of the window.

The pump was not working fast enough. I had Hailey bringing me every towel she could in the house - from the linen closet, the bathrooms, and even the dirty clothes basket. I used every towel we had...it was coming through the window so fast!!

When Jeff first jumped into the window well, the water was up to his thighs. He used buckets to start emptying out the water which totally helped!
The carpet got fairly wet despite our attempts and this is the 3rd time. It has kinda smelled since the last incident so we decided to go ahead and tear the carpet up. The tack strip under the window was completely rotted out.
So this is what my craft room likes like now..I swear I'll never get this room cleaned up...there's always drama - maybe I should take that as a hint.

4 comments:

  1. That stinks! Our basement has gotten a little water in it with all the rain lately. Not as bad as you guys though. If you need someone to put in new carpet you know who to call!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry! That bites....big time! That's the only room it got into right?!?!?!? For some reason when I was talking to Jeff this afternoon, I totally pictured the back part of the house (windows in the family room!) I was totally off! :) Hope things come back together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that does not look like fun!!!--Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my heck!? This is the third time? that's absolutely insane! sorry :(

    ReplyDelete